Troubleshooting the scanner of an all-in-one printer is a straightforward process of elimination. You begin at the most basic level, striking off those issues that are not the problem and work your way up the ladder of complexity until you have a working scanner. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the scanner on an all-in-one printer:
What to Do
- Check the power. Almost everyone has missed this easy fix at least once. Make sure all power switches are on, all cords are plugged in and any indicator lights are showing green.
- Eliminate the chance for operator error by refreshing your memory on the operating instructions. If you discover that you have been missing a step in the scanning process, highlight the relevant step in the operating manual and try to scan again.
- Verify the correct positioning of the document you want to scan, which is face down on the scanner bed glass. Spot clean the glass if necessary with a damp cloth.
- Double-check your scan optimization settings. Some printers allow you to refine their settings for print only, image only or mixed documents. Make sure you have the right one selected.
- Make sure you have the right computer destination selected in a network. If you are not in a network, examine the cables that connect your all-in-one printer to your computer.
- Keep the device’s task manager on while scanning. Some all-in-one printers need their task manager in the toolbar to function properly.
- Pull up the troubleshooting menu for the printer on your computer for more system-specific remedies.
- If the scanned image is not displaying at all, the problem is most likely in the connections between the computer and scanner or in the software. Check the cables between the printer and computer, and use the device manager to make sure the all-in-one printer is recognized by the computer.
- Lower the scan resolution. Sometimes this gets the machine working again on a particular scan. Also, check the auto-contrast feature. Sometimes this will not compensate for very light or dark documents resulting in a bad scan.
- Proper maintenance is the best troubleshooting step you can take because you don’t have to wait for something to go wrong. You can head problems off before they show up to wreck your day.
- The innards of your all-in-one printer are not operator-serviceable.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-800-293-9401.