When you upgrade to a new PC, you can transfer your QuickBooks information so you don’t lose any work. Transferring your QuickBooks PC file requires several distinct steps. You must create a back-up PC file, install QuickBooks on your new PC and recover the back-up on the new PC.
Create a Backup File
To back up your company PC file, follow these directions:
- Insert the external device you’ll use to transfer your QuickBooks PC file to the new PC. This could be a flash drive, a CD or a DVD.
- Navigate to the PC file menu and choose Create Backup. Choose the Local Backup option.
- Select Options. Just click Browse and navigate to the location of the external device you’re using to save your back-up.
- Give your back-up PC file a recognizable and specific name, like XYZ Company New Computer Backup 01-01-2015. Choose Ok, and then click next.
- Click Save it now and Finish starting the back-up process. Once the process has completed, remove the external device from the PC.
Install QuickBooks on the New Computer
- Insert your QuickBooks software CD into the disk drive on your new PC.
- Follow the software prompts to install QuickBooks.
- If you no longer have your QuickBooks CD, you can download the installation files by providing your product license number. If you’ve forgotten your product license number, you can
- Retrieve it by providing your business phone number or logging into your online QuickBooks account.
Restore the Backup File on the New Computer
To recover the back-up PC file so you can use it on your new PC, follow these instructions:
- Insert the external device with your QuickBooks back-up into the new PC.
- In QuickBooks, navigate to File pick Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore a Backup Copy and then click next.
- Select Local Backup and then click next.
- If QuickBooks does not automatically detect the back-up PC file, navigate to the external device location and then select back-up PC file.
- Click Open and Next. Choose Save In and navigate to the location on your PC where you want to recover and save the back-up PC file.
- Select Save to recover the QuickBooks PC file to your new PC.