A wireless DSL router has a DSL modem and a wireless router built into a single device. There are times when you need to connect a separate wireless router because of incompatibilities with some wireless devices. When you connect the two routers together, one of the routers needs to have its LAN IP address changed to prevent an IP address conflict. When there is an IP address conflict, one of the wireless routers may not work correctly.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from the computer to one of the LAN ports on the wireless DSL router.
- Open a Web browser and type in the IP address for the router’s Web utility program. Each router has a different IP address, but the address generally looks similar to “192.168.X.X.” Refer to the wireless DSL router’s user manual for the specific address.
- Enter the user name and password to log in to the router utility. The login information differs depending on the manufacturer of the router, but a common user name and password is “admin” and “password,” respectively. Refer to the wireless DSL router’s user manual for specific login instructions.
- Click on “Basic Settings” and make note of the IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the wireless DSL router, and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the second wireless router. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to access the router utility.
- Click “Basic Settings,” then click on “LAN IP Address” (this setting may be a part of the Basic Settings). Change the router’s IP address to the same router address as the wireless DSL router, except change the last number to “2.” For instance, if the wireless DSL router has a router address of “192.168.1.1,” then for the second wireless router, change the IP address to “192.168.1.2.”
- Enter the same subnet mask and gateway as the wireless DSL router.
- Click on “Wireless” and enable the wireless.
- Enter the SSID (wireless network name) made note of in step 4, then choose a security type and type in the wireless security key you want to use. Save the settings and exit the router utility.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer and plug it into one of the LAN ports on the wireless DSL router. Move the Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the second wireless router to the WAN port.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-888-489-0678.