A Netgear modem links your computer or wireless router to your Internet connection. Netgear sells dozens of models, including standalone modems and routers with internal modems. Occasional problems may arise that can affect the speed or reliability of your Internet connection. Whatever your Netgear modem model or style, troubleshoot general problems to pinpoint the problem and get your computer back online.
- Make sure the Netgear modem is powered on. Some model styles have a power button or switch while others turn on automatically once you plug them into a power source. Check the AC power cable to make sure it’s plugged securely into the back of the modem and is connected to an outlet.
- Verify that the Netgear modem is connected to your Internet service if your computer can’t get online or if the light labeled “Internet” on the front of the device is flashing. DSL modems should be connected to your phone line with an Ethernet cable. Cable modems are typically connected to a coaxial cable in your wall. If you’re unsure about your Internet connection methods, contact your Internet service provider.
- Check that the Netgear modem is connected to your computer if the modem is on and its “Internet” light is glowing but your computer can’t get online. Modems must be connected to your computer using an Ethernet cable, or plugged into a wireless router that sends out a wireless Internet signal.
- See if your computer has joined the appropriate wireless Internet network if you’re using a Netgear router with an internal modem. The default wireless network name for Netgear modems and routers is “NETGEAR.” On a Mac, click the wireless icon in the top right corner of the screen and select the network from the drop-down menu. In Windows, double-click the Network icon in the Windows taskbar. If you’re unsure of how to setup your computer, consult the manual or manufacturer of your operating system.
- Reset the Netgear modem. The reset button is typically located on the back of the device. This resets the internal software in the device and may resolve software-related problems like dropped Internet connections.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-844-279-9788.