skip to Main Content

How to Stop Mail Forwarding


You are here:

Mail forwarding is done for the sake of convenience. You use it to receive your mail while you’re away from home for whatever reason. Generally, this is done through a temporary change of address form. But if you filed a permanent change of address form instead, or if the date you’re coming home changes, you won’t want them to continue forwarding your mail. Luckily, it is easy to end mail forwarding in both cases.

Ending Mail Forwarding

  • If you set up mail forwarding with a permanent change of address form, you will need to fill out a second permanent change of address form. This is easiest to do online. Go to
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Change your Address”. This is located underneath the “Would you like to…?” Menu.
  • Read the privacy act statement and click on “I understand and acknowledge the statements above…click here to begin”
  • Select “permanent”, and type the date you want mail forwarding to end in the “start forwarding” box. Although this is referred to as “mail forwarding”, you will be changing your address back to the original address you want your mail sent to. This process works exactly like the process you would go through if you were moving, which is similar to forwarding mail.
  • In most cases, you will select “individual” on this screen, though if you are forwarding for a business, select “business.”
  • In the “old address” section, fill out the address that you had your mail forwarded to. In the “new address” section, fill out the address you want your mail to be sent to from now on. Click “Continue” at the bottom of the screen.
  • You will need to fill in credit card information to verify your identity. $1.00 will be charged in order to check to see if it is a valid card. Check the box at the bottom, and click “submit” once this is filled out.
  • Select the general reason you are changing your address, and then click continue to the confirmation page. Review all the information, and click on submit.
  • If you are concerned with any aspect of the online method, you can go to your local post office and request a change of address form there.
  • Keep in mind that even though the Web site refers to the process as mail forwarding, a second permanent change of address is the only way to change your address back if you had previously filed a permanent change of address instead of the temporary change of address.
  • If you want to end mail forwarding that was filed with a temporary change of address form, you just need to call your local post office, and inform them of the new date you wish to end forwarding.


If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-800-293-9401.

Was this article helpful?
Dislike 0
Views: 6

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top