While most problems with Compaq computers can be solved by less drastic means, there are times when the best solution is to take the computer back to its original factory settings. Serious issues such as a stubborn virus infection or a corrupted operating system often require that the computer be rebuilt from the ground up. When that happens, the best way to restore your Compaq computer to health is to run the recovery disk.
- Locate the recovery disk and operating system CD that came with your computer. Each Compaq computer uses a specific recovery disk and those disks are not interchangeable.
- Back up all of your data to an external hard drive before starting the recovery process. The recovery process will destroy all data on your hard drive.
- Insert the recovery disk in the CD or DVD drive and power down the computer. Press the power button and watch the screen closely. Press any key when you see the “Press any key to boot from CD” message.
- Press the “Enter” key to begin the restore process. Choose the operating system that came with your computer. Many Compaq recovery disks support more than one operating system, so be sure to choose your system.
- Insert the operating system CD when prompted. Enter the license key when prompted. The license key is typically located on a small label affixed to the computer’s case. On desktop units, the label is on the top or side. On laptops the label is usually on the bottom of the unit.
- Reboot the computer when prompted. This will complete the recovery process. Log on to the Microsoft Windows Update website to download any patches, service packs and updates that were released after the recovery CD was manufactured. Reload all the personal data you backed up to the external hard drive.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-844-279-9788.