Intuit QuickBooks accounting software is typically bug-free; however, there are times when a file becomes corrupted and you need to repair it. When you have the right set of instructions and technical knowledge, fixing a corrupt file becomes a straight forward and easy process. With QuickBooks you can salvage a corrupted file with the software’s built-in utilities. It does not require downloading or paying for extra recovery tools.
- Close QuickBooks after receiving an error message relating to a damaged data file.
- Open QuickBooks again. This will create a new Qbwin.log file.
- Click on the “Window” option, and then select “Close All” from the drop-down menu. This will close any open QuickBooks window, including company files.
- Click on the “File” option, then select “Utilities” from the drop-down menu. You will need to select “Verify Data” from the next menu. If QuickBooks reports there are no problems with your data, the data is clean. However, if you see a message that states “Your data has lost integrity” or “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing,” then your data file is damaged or has a structural problem. You will need to run the Rebuild Data tool if you see these error messages.
- Close all QuickBooks windows by clicking “Window” and selecting “Close All.”
- Launch the Rebuild Data utility by clicking on “File,” then selecting “Utilities.” From this drop-down menu choose the “Rebuild Data” option.
- Click the “OK” option, which pops up warning you about the software requiring a backup of the company file. Do not overwrite your existing backup file. Create an entirely new backup file on a different CD or DVD. To avoid overwriting, enter a new file name when prompted.
- Wait for the Rebuild Data utility to finish the rebuild process. It may take a few minutes. Once it has completed, click the “OK” button.
- Close the company file. Reopen the file to refresh the list.
- Click on the company file, and then select the “Open” option to launch the file.
- Run the Verify Data utility again. This will verify the data file is clean and no longer damaged.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-800-293-9401.