TurboTax provides a user-friendly sequence of dialog boxes to assist you in installing the software on your computer. Although much of this process amounts to little more than clicking on the “Next” button, some of your selections may affect the quality of your experience using TurboTax and handling other functions on your computer while TurboTax is running.
Install TurboTax on Your Computer from a Disc
- Insert the TurboTax software disc into your computer’s CD or DVD drive and confirm that you wish to install TurboTax software on your computer.
- Follow the dialog box prompts to allow installation to continue. You will have to read and accept the terms of the TurboTax license agreement and assign the software to the directory and folder in which you want it stored.
- Enter information on the speed and type of connection that you use to access the Internet and choose whether you want to authorize TurboTax to connect automatically for updates. Allowing TurboTax to connect automatically may slow down other functions on your computer. Remember that it only takes a second to authorize each connection manually.
- Select the state you wish to include in your TurboTax package if you have purchased an application that includes both federal and state-tax preparation. After you make this selection, the installation process will take a few moments to set up the software on your computer.
- View the “Installation Complete” box that appears on your screen and click to select whether you wish to launch TurboTax and begin preparing your tax return.
Install or Launch TurboTax with a Download or Web Application
- Install TurboTax from a downloadable file if you purchased the software in download form. Once the download is complete, you will receive prompts to move forward with your return.
- Launch TurboTax over the Internet without installing it on your computer. To do so, you will have to purchase a license to use a web-application version of the software.
- You will be prompted to allow TurboTax to check for updates when you initially install the program on your computer and you can expect to see prompts regularly thereafter. This keeps your version of the program current, with the latest changes in tax law and improvements in software functionality.
- TurboTax comes in numerous versions and combinations, based on different operating systems. There are “basic” and “deluxe” configurations, as well as packages that include Free State downloads and e-file options. To avoid problems, make sure that you read the box carefully and verify that you have the right product for your computer and tax-filing needs before you unseal the box and begin installation.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-800-293-9401.