Installing an NVIDIA graphics card in your Acer laptop will dramatically increase the quality of your notebook’s visual output. As with most laptop upgrades, though, adding a NVIDIA graphics card is not a simple task. Since you will have to disassemble the laptop, taking on this task involves the risk of permanently damaging your computer. Only Acer owners with significant laptop repair experience should undertake this project.
- Unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Lift up on the plastic strip covering the hinges. This strip is located above the keyboard. On most Acer laptop models, there are no screws holding the strip in place–it simply clips on. If you find it difficult to remove the cover strip, insert the edge of a flat blade screwdriver under the edge of the strip closest to the keyboard and pry it up.
- Remove the screws under the plastic cover strip you just removed. These screws hold the keyboard assembly in place. Lift up on the keyboard assembly. Unplug the keyboard connector.
- Remove the screws holding the screen hinges to the laptop. On the Acer laptops, there are two screws holding each hinge. Disconnect the electrical connector and Wi-Fi antenna, and place the screen out of the way.
- Remove the screws that hold the upper shell in place. Lift up on the shell and set it aside.
- Locate the existing graphics card. It is located in different positions on each model, so you may need to look at your new NVIDIA card to get an idea of what you are looking for. Remove the two screws securing the card. Replace it with the new card and tighten the screws.
- Position the upper shell and replace the screws. Reconnect the screen and Wi-Fi connectors, and screw the screen hinges back into place.
- Set the keyboard in place and replace the screws. Set the cover strip and press down on it along the edges to lock it into place.
- Replace the battery and plug in your Acer. Turn on the laptop. The operating system will automatically recognize the NVIDA graphics card upgrade.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-844-279-9788.