Does the thought of having a high-speed, top-notch Internet connection without all those annoying cords and wires confusing you and getting in the way sound like heaven? Wireless Internet is becoming more popular and common as more people are choosing the way of convenience. You can have it, too, by simply following a few basic steps.
Get High-Speed Internet
- Contact your local Internet service provider to hook up a high-speed Internet connection (broadband), such as DSL or cable.
- Upgrade to high-speed if you already have Internet access, but only dial-up. Wireless Internet won’t be that effective with just a dial-up connection.
- Make an appointment for a service technician to come in and install and set up your Internet connection.
- Buy a self-install Internet kit to set it up yourself. Follow the step-by-step instructions for installation and setup (alternative to step 3).
Get a Wireless Router
- Buy a wireless router. Shop at your local department store, computer parts shop, electronics store or even online to compare prices, brands, features and capabilities.
- Look for a router with a strong signal–about 108 mbps or higher.
Install Your Wireless Router
- Follow the instructional manual that came with the wireless router you purchased.
- Hook up the router to the cable modem using the Ethernet cord.
- Open up your Internet browser. Type in the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the router, which is found in your manual.
- Log in to your router with the username and password provided in your manual and use the connection wizard on your screen. When installation and setup is complete, your wireless connection should be ready to go.
- Unplug the Ethernet cord.
- Encrypt your connection so no one else can access your wireless Internet connection without your permission.
- Contact a technologically minded friend or family member who can help you set it up if you’re having problems or can’t follow the instructions properly.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-888-489-0678.