Firefox allows customization through three types of add-ons. User-made extensions add or change functionality, themes alter the Web browser’s appearance and plugins, such as Flash and Java, are used to play additional types of content or link with other applications. You can remove both themes and extensions from within Firefox, but most plugins are uninstalled through Windows’ Programs and Features Control Panel. If you can’t successfully uninstall a plugin through the Control Panel, you can locate it manually to remove it from Firefox.
Deleting Extensions and Themes
- Open Firefox’s menu (or click the “Firefox” button in versions prior to 29) and click “Add-ons.” Alternatively, use the shortcut “Control-Shift-A” to open the Add-ons Manager.
- Select either the “Extensions” tab or the “Appearance” tab, depending on which type of add-on you want to remove.
- Press the “Remove” button next to the extension or theme you want to delete. Alternatively, press “Disable” to turn it off without erasing it permanently.
- Click the “Restart Now” link, if one appears, to restart the browser and finish deleting the add-on. Some add-ons require a restart while others don’t.
Manually Deleting Plugins
- Enter “about: plugins” without quotes in the address bar to see a list of installed plugins.
- Scroll through the list to find the plugin you want to remove. Underneath its name, locate the line labeled “Path.”
- Copy the path beginning with the drive letter and ending before the file name. For example, if you need to manually erase Java and its path reads C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\plugin2\npjp2.dll, copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\plugin2\ by selecting that segment and pressing “Control-C.”
- Press “Windows-R” to open a Run window and press “Control-V” to paste the copied path. Push “Enter” to open the path’s location.
- Select the specific file listed in the path, such as Npjp2.dll in the example above. Press “F2” to rename the file and insert an “X” before its name.
- Restart Firefox and make sure that the plugin no longer appears in the installed plugin list and everything else still works correctly. If so, you can delete the renamed file from your computer if you want.
If you are facing any kind of issues call us on our toll-free number 1-800-293-9401.